A crown is a dental restoration made out of porcelain/dental ceramic, metals such as gold or metal alloy, or a combination of both. It is also known as a cap because it covers the visible portion of the tooth that lies at and above the gum line. Essentially, it becomes the tooth’s new outer surface.
Uses for Dental Crowns
A dental crown can be placed to address a number of issues, such as to:
- Restore a tooth to its original shape
- Reduce sensitivity due to a tooth fracture
- Strengthen a weak tooth
- Improve the cosmetic appearance of a tooth, changing the shape, color, size, or length
Dr. Thurmond’s dental office in Raleigh, NC offers the advantage of CEREC technology, which allows you to have your custom-made dental crown placed in just one appointment. The procedure for placing CEREC dental crowns is as follows:
- Your dentist will examine the tooth and determine the treatment plan.
- Decayed or weakened tooth tissue is removed.
- A digital picture of your tooth is taken. This image will be converted into a 3D virtual model using our CEREC software.
- The dental restoration is created using this 3D image – the crown is immediately milled from a ceramic block that matches your tooth shade.
- The process takes about 15 minutes, at the end of which time your all-ceramic, tooth-colored restoration is complete and ready to be placed. The restoration will be checked for proper fit and bite, then polished and bonded to the tooth.
If you are interested in using dental crowns to improve your teeth, we would be happy to help. Contact us to learn more about how to change your smile in just one appointment.